Thursday 11 August 2016

Weight Loss Success Story: "Kayla Itsines’ Bikini Body Guide Helped Me Lose 34 Pounds”

Samantha McRoberts, 25, 5'5", from Los Angeles

Before: 170 lb., size 14

After: 138 lb., size 6



Total pounds lost: 34

Total sizes lost: 4



I was raised in a home where the focus was on filling my plate with tasty comfort food-not healthy eats. That's probably why, by middle school, I hit 168 pounds, a weight that stuck for the next 12 years. I tried several diet and fitness regimens over the years, but I just couldn't commit long enough to get lasting results. Even when something started to work, one binge session was all it took to knock me completely off track. My self-esteem hit an all-time low while I was in graduate school, when I realized my size XL shirts were suddenly becoming snug. 



RELATED: 9 Weight Loss Success Stories You're Going to Want to See



Clicking with Kayla Itsines



Still, it wasn't until after graduation that I decided to finally take control of my health. I purchased and downloaded Kayla Itsines' Bikini Body Guide (BBG), a 12-week fitness program, timing the plan to end on Christmas day. My first workout was a real struggle; I had to modify every single move and could do only about a third of the recommended reps. I was frustrated, but I kept telling myself that it was just 28 minutes a day. When December 25 arrived, I had lost 16 pounds! 



Insta-support



In January, I began another Itsines program. I didn't see much progress in the first few weeks, so I turned to other Instagrammers on the plan. Their posts of healthy recipes, such as avocado toast and smoothie bowls, gave me the extra motivation I needed to clean up my eating habits. In fact, this online crew was so inspiring that I began attending monthly BBG meetups. The sessions really pushed me while keeping me accountable. Now I'm at my lowest weight-138 pounds. Best of all, I've met some of my closest friends through this empowering fitness community.



RELATED: Kayla Itsines' Top Exercises for Legs, Arms, and Abs



Steal Samantha's “like”-worthy tips 



What helps Samantha keep up the great work? Check out her secret weapons. 



Reward yourself: Whenever I meet one of my goals, I give myself a healthy gift, like cute new workout clothes or SoulCycle classes. It's always something I truly enjoy, but it also keeps me in a fit frame of mind.



Zest up your hydration: I'm obsessed with my Citrus Zinger water bottle ($16; amazon.com), and I carry it everywhere. I typically add a lemon or orange wedge to the bottom to bring a little life to basic water. The hint of citrus is super refreshing.



Share your sweat sessions: I am always posting my workouts on Snapchat and Instagram. It may sound silly, but constantly posting actually makes me stay focused-plus, I can't really have a lazy day without all my followers knowing.



Samantha's wearing gear from MPG Sport: Halogen Jacket ($100), Agami Sports Bra ($54), and Mantra Tight ($58). 



 



As told to Lindsey Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment